I am a foodie. I love different flavors, so when my husband arrived to the United States, I was excited to share with him all the flavors of California. He didn't like my food at first. I tried recipe after recipe for him, and night after night the response was mediocre at best. I soon tired of cooking food that went to waste because he didn't like it. I stopped cooking and I love to cook. But cooking is no fun when there isn't any enjoyment when it is eaten. After about 3 years of marriage, he began to experiment with food. He started trying different items and became willing to eat things he had never eaten. AND, he started to like food. Yay- and with that, I started to cook again. Now, he always asks me, "When did you learn to cook?" As if this is a new thing for me. My answer- "It isn't when did I learn to cook, it is when did you learn to eat?" This blog is a collection of recipes that I have created. I make new things all the time, but I don't write anything down and then I either forget that I made it, or I forget how to make it. I don't know if anyone is out there that will read this- but if you do, I hope you enjoy trying my recipes. Buen Provecho!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lemon Basil Chicken

My summer quest is to find some healthy recipes that I can be quickly prepared and that are low in calories. I need meals that I can make during the school year when I don't have a lot of time to get dinner on the table. Here is find #1. The original recipe was for scallops so I made it a chicken recipe and added a few of my own touches.

1 lb chicken breast (boneless skinless- fresh or frozen)
1 large lemon
3/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon wonder flour
1 cup fresh spinach
1 cup sliced mushrooms
handful of fresh basil leaves chopped

I used frozen chicken "tenders" (if you use fresh chicken slice into strips) and poach the chicken in the wine, chicken broth, garlic, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, juice from 1/2 of the lemon. Grate the lemon peel and add to the poaching mixture. If this is not enough liquid to cover the chicken, add a little more chicken broth. Poach the chicken for about 15 minutes over high heat or until fully cooked. Remove the chicken from the liquid and pour it into a saute pan. Add the mushrooms, spinach, garlic powder and the juice from the rest of the lemon to the liquid and cook over medium high heat until the mushrooms are tender and the spinach is fully cooked. Add the basil. Make a well in the middle of the pan and add the flour to the liquid slowly stirring constantly. Mix everything together and continue to cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes stirring constantly. Pour the mixture over the cooked chicken and serve. Could be served over rice or pasta.
one serving of chicken is 4 oz and it is 256 calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment