I am a foodie. I love different flavors, so when my husband arrived to the United States, I was excited to share with him all the flavors of California. He didn't like my food at first. I tried recipe after recipe for him, and night after night the response was mediocre at best. I soon tired of cooking food that went to waste because he didn't like it. I stopped cooking and I love to cook. But cooking is no fun when there isn't any enjoyment when it is eaten. After about 3 years of marriage, he began to experiment with food. He started trying different items and became willing to eat things he had never eaten. AND, he started to like food. Yay- and with that, I started to cook again. Now, he always asks me, "When did you learn to cook?" As if this is a new thing for me. My answer- "It isn't when did I learn to cook, it is when did you learn to eat?" This blog is a collection of recipes that I have created. I make new things all the time, but I don't write anything down and then I either forget that I made it, or I forget how to make it. I don't know if anyone is out there that will read this- but if you do, I hope you enjoy trying my recipes. Buen Provecho!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Tortellini Salad w/ Balsamic Vinegarette and Pesto Chicken Salad with Hummus

I recently had the most delicious dish. It was a grilled chicken breast with a pesto and sun-dried tomato hummus. It was served with a salad with a balsamic vinegarette. Then later I had a pesto pasta salad with tomato and I was thinking how to kind of bring the two dishes together. This is what I came up with... I hope you enjoy!

Pesto Chicken Salad
1 1/2 lbs chicken (boneless/skinless)
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
parmesan cheese
2 handfuls basil (2 .66 oz packages)
olive oil
1 tblsp crushed garlic
2 tblsp balsamic vinegar
4 oz (1/2 jar) marinated sun-dried tomatoes
salt
crushed red pepper (optional)
4 sandwich rolls

Slice and bake the chicken covered with the rosemary sprigs and slightly salted. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Let the chicken cool and shred or cut into small bite size pieces.
In the food processor blend basil, sun-dried tomatoes and vinegar and add olive oil while blending to mix well. Add enough olive oil that the mixture is loose but not a liquid. For the garlic you can smash your own or buy it already crushed, add the garlic and mix. Sprinkle the red pepper if you want a little kick. Then about 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and salt to taste. Toss the dressing with the chicken to totally coat.
Serve on toasted french rolls. Spread a generous amount of hummus on the rolls. There should be enough chicken salad to make 4 sandwiches.
You could add the chicken to the pasta salad and just top with hummus instead of making sandwiches.

Tortellini Salad
1 box spinach tortellini
1 6.5 oz marinated artichoke hearts
1 cucumber
2 cups cherry tomatoes
shredded parmesan cheese
Balsamic vinegarette*

Directions
cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain and cool.
Dice the artichoke hearts.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in halves.
Slice the cucumber and then cut into quarters.
Mix ingredients together then add vinegarette and add parmesan cheese and toss.

*Use your favorite balsamic vinegarette. I use the Good Seasons italian dressing packages and cruet. I use balsamic vinegar and olive oil and mix according to instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment