I am a foodie. I love different flavors, so when my husband arrived to the United States, I was excited to share with him all the flavors of California. He didn't like my food at first. I tried recipe after recipe for him, and night after night the response was mediocre at best. I soon tired of cooking food that went to waste because he didn't like it. I stopped cooking and I love to cook. But cooking is no fun when there isn't any enjoyment when it is eaten. After about 3 years of marriage, he began to experiment with food. He started trying different items and became willing to eat things he had never eaten. AND, he started to like food. Yay- and with that, I started to cook again. Now, he always asks me, "When did you learn to cook?" As if this is a new thing for me. My answer- "It isn't when did I learn to cook, it is when did you learn to eat?" This blog is a collection of recipes that I have created. I make new things all the time, but I don't write anything down and then I either forget that I made it, or I forget how to make it. I don't know if anyone is out there that will read this- but if you do, I hope you enjoy trying my recipes. Buen Provecho!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ginger Ground Pork

I love to experiment with flavors and make new things. But sometimes I am afraid they won't work. My friend made a lettuce wrap with ground pork and she told me about how she made it. As I thought about what she was saying, I was sure that I could make it my way. As I went shopping, I thought about the sauce she used and as I went to buy it, it was more than I wanted to spend. So I decided to make the dish my way. This is what I did- big surprise I have no measurements but I will try to make it again and measure the next time.

1 lb ground pork
soy sauce
1 cup water
ground ginger
chili powder
garlic powder
onion powder
cumin
salt
green onions
1 can water chestnuts
1 medium sized carrot
season the meat in the pan and brown over medium high heat. Once the meat is fully cooked, add soy sauce, water chestnuts, carrots, and simmer down. Add green onion just a few minutes before you are ready to take off the heat.
My husband had it over brown rice. I ate it over a broccoli slaw with just a little bit of brown rice mixed in. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment