I am a foodie. I love different flavors, so when my husband arrived to the United States, I was excited to share with him all the flavors of California. He didn't like my food at first. I tried recipe after recipe for him, and night after night the response was mediocre at best. I soon tired of cooking food that went to waste because he didn't like it. I stopped cooking and I love to cook. But cooking is no fun when there isn't any enjoyment when it is eaten. After about 3 years of marriage, he began to experiment with food. He started trying different items and became willing to eat things he had never eaten. AND, he started to like food. Yay- and with that, I started to cook again. Now, he always asks me, "When did you learn to cook?" As if this is a new thing for me. My answer- "It isn't when did I learn to cook, it is when did you learn to eat?" This blog is a collection of recipes that I have created. I make new things all the time, but I don't write anything down and then I either forget that I made it, or I forget how to make it. I don't know if anyone is out there that will read this- but if you do, I hope you enjoy trying my recipes. Buen Provecho!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cuban Chicken Soup

My husband is Cuban and when he first came to this country he missed the food of his culture. He would tell me about a dish, tell me the ingredients and then wanted me to recreate it (sometimes without ever tasting it). This is one of those dishes.

I never measure, so these measurements are approximate.

Boneless chicken (I always prefer breasts but thighs will work too)
4 cans Chicken broth and/or Vegetable broth
(this is a good opportunity to use some of your homemade chicken broth)
Large can of pureed or crushed tomatoes
2 Carrots
1 large Potato and/or 1 large Sweet Potato
1 large Onion
2 Bell Peppers (red and or green)
1/2 bag Frozen Corn
1 tablespoon Cumin
2 tablespoons Garlic
2 tablespoons of your favorite taco seasoning
2-3 bay leaves
Salt
Large stock pot

Pour the broth into the pot. How many cans of broth depends upon how big a batch you want. I start with filling the pot half way with liquid.
Cut up vegetables into bite size pieces (for quicker cooking, smaller pieces will cook faster) and add to the broth
Add salt if you desire
Add garlic powder (or crushed), cumin, taco seasoning, and 2-3 bay leaves
You can cut the chicken into bite size pieces or cook it whole and cut later (that's what I do because I hate to cut raw chicken) add chicken to the pot.
Cook on medium high heat for about an hour. If you used the whole chicken pieces, pull the chicken out and cube it and return to the pot.
Add the corn and cook for about 10 more minutes
For quicker cooking, you can saute the vegetables first.
*If you want a larger batch the rule of thumb should be for soups you should have about 2x as much liquid as solid.


No comments:

Post a Comment