I am a foodie. I love different flavors, so when my husband arrived to the United States, I was excited to share with him all the flavors of California. He didn't like my food at first. I tried recipe after recipe for him, and night after night the response was mediocre at best. I soon tired of cooking food that went to waste because he didn't like it. I stopped cooking and I love to cook. But cooking is no fun when there isn't any enjoyment when it is eaten. After about 3 years of marriage, he began to experiment with food. He started trying different items and became willing to eat things he had never eaten. AND, he started to like food. Yay- and with that, I started to cook again. Now, he always asks me, "When did you learn to cook?" As if this is a new thing for me. My answer- "It isn't when did I learn to cook, it is when did you learn to eat?" This blog is a collection of recipes that I have created. I make new things all the time, but I don't write anything down and then I either forget that I made it, or I forget how to make it. I don't know if anyone is out there that will read this- but if you do, I hope you enjoy trying my recipes. Buen Provecho!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Better than Diner Burger!

I was recently laid off. Because of this, we are trying to eat out less... to make this less painful, I try to recreate the "restaurant" experience at home. Last week it was a Mexican Cantina on the back patio with homemade enchiladas, salsa, guacamole and chips. This week, it was the local 50's diner. I wanted to try to buy the groceries for less than the dinner out would cost which isn't always easy to do- I bought the ingredients for bacon burgers, fries, and chocolate malts for under $15. I was pretty blessed.
I must say, I thought the burgers were super yummy, but when my husband's eyes roll back in his head, then I know he is enjoying what he is eating, and I know... it is good!
1lb hamburger meat. I bought what was on sale, which was 80/20.
Hamburger buns
Cheese (I like mild to medium he likes sharp cheddar)
1 tsp Cumin
3 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Onion powder
1/4 tsp Salt
touch of Pepper
1/2 tsp Chili powder
bacon
butter (optional)

I cooked the bacon first and dumped the grease, but used the same pan to cook the bacon.
How many times will I tell you, I never measure so I am guessing (when will I learn to measure so I can write it down?) When I season the meat, I always try to make sure that I sprinkle it around and I try not to "dump" it into the middle. So once you season the meat, mix it up without over mixing. Shape into patties and cook to your liking. Grill, fry, broil... whatever works for you. I was going for the diner experience, so I fried the burgers in a pan.
I toasted my bun and grilled my husband's with butter and a little garlic powder. Add cheese and slightly broil to melt.
I like mine with bbq sauce. He likes his with mayo.
The end result... delicious!
We ended up not having the french fries, but we had chocolate malts and we were very happy campers.

No comments:

Post a Comment